Thursday, February 11, 2010

DAY 18: DETOX (SLIGHT) DETOUR

The morning started with a bang. I have one word for you--Peets. No teeccino. No alkaline substitute. Pure and unparalleled Peets. Z woke up in the night and while I may have dozed off a bit, the sleep was not sound. After the first sip, to say I saw g-d would not be far from the truth. Wanted to elevate the Major Dickasons' status to General. Jury is out on whether the P bag will be gracing the counter top come Monday.

We had the steel cut oats this morning with melted bananas and that addictive raw honey. Bliss in a jar. It really is the simple things that bring the most pleasure--including food at its most basic. I was fueled (with "batteries" as Z would say) for my day and went to the noon spin with Eileen my fav instructor. Of course given my absenteeism I couldn't keep my usual "top of the class" pace with the 20 and 30 somethings. Me? Competitive? Nonetheless I had an amazing workout complete with rushing endorphins. Went to TJs and WF afterwards for some items, particularly because I read about gf falafel and thought I would make it for dinner. Because we were having an old friend over that I hadn't seen in some time--and I have a penchant for experimenting on a dish I've never tried (much less mastered) on dinner guests.

By the time I arrived home, Z had recovered from his morning nausea and had eaten the last banana and a peanut butter "crabby patty" (doesn't anyone watch spongebob??). I'm considering installing a "banana cam" to find out where they are all going! Dole is going to give me a key to the plantation. I was very happy with the tofu and veggie leftovers from last night with the chili yogurt. Yum. Tried to get Z to try it but I think I need to have the tofu in a different form--like in the shape of a pterodactyl.

I made the tahini sauce while monitoring Z in the kitchen. Later he helped me make the falafel ... and witnessed me slice the top of my thumb while sharpening the knife! He loved the blood and gore and was not so fond of me covering it with the band aid. Our guest brought her ukulele and sang for her supper serenading Z in the bath with old favorites like "Z in the Bath" and "He's so Clean".

The recipe calls for gf flour. I can't imagine "real" flour making these taste any better. I fried the patties in a little olive oil on the stove, finished them off in the oven and served them on brown rice with the tahini sauce (extra on the side) and a mixed salad with fresh mozzarella. Coincidentally our guest has been gluten free for a while. The dinner was a home run! Good thing I didn't serve chicken pot pies! We had to have some vodka because we couldn't let our guest drink alone. Rude.

Coffee and vodka in the same day. I haven't had even an ounce of bread. Or sugar. Even bigger--not one condiment. Not even mustard which I was convinced was the glue that held me together. Justification has its rewards ... is there detox anonymous?

No comments:

Post a Comment