Monday, February 22, 2010

From Detox to Lifestyle ...

Why the blog sabbatical? Did the detox whittle me down to nothingness, rendering me unable to blog? Or did my life just become an empty shell without a 21-day detox on which to focus 24/7. Well, I've learned there is more to life than diet. It's hard work keeping up. Being clever on cue. Even here in la la land where the d-word is on the tip of every tongue. Or maybe not because it might have carbs!

Reports are that I've been eating. And admittedly there have been times I have strayed. Celebrated the 21 days with some sushi ... and ate TUNA! Shocker! There was the 4yo birthday party otherwise known as "carb central" where I had the half sesame bagel with a schmear. Passed on the Sweet Lady Jane pink and green butterfly cake (trust me, those colors do not occur naturally in the world). Felt the bagel sitting there while the Frenchman made bubbles around small humans using hula hoops (don't try this at home). My stomach was trying to decide friend or foe. Turning it around, getting a good look. Finally digested it but not without a fierce fight. The gluten monster within. I ate some pita bread today--and let me tell you it was delicious, the half I had. But I haven't really been "bad". Unless you count the jelly beans on Friday. I've lost about 6 or 7 lbs for sure if not more. Wardrobe malfunction big time. The quandary is does one tailor or wait (weight) for it all to come back?!!

We had our 3rd guest since "The Detox" and I made a roasted chicken with roasted asparagus. Very simple. Beets (yes, roasted) and fresh mozzarella salad to start. All on the diet. All inhaled in minutes. Another happy customer.

Went to see "The Hurt Locker" the other night (NO popcorn she beams proudly). Seriously difficult to watch--like experiencing a 2 hour time bomb about to go off! Go see it. Now of course you will because Ms. Bigelow (the former Mrs. James Cameron. Take that "King of the World"!) just won the BAFTA for best director. It's awesome. You can download on directv on demand too. But the big screen is best because you can't cut your toenails and watch at the same time (sorry). This film demands your undivided attention.

I finally made the tofu peppercorn dressing from M Chaya Cafe!! I emailed the catering director and asked for the recipe. What I got was a list of ingredients without any measurements and a statement that if I wanted to order the dressing in "large quantities" they would be happy to oblige. I might because I could bathe in this stuff!! I didn't put any garlic in it but it was sublime to say the least. Non-dairy lusciousness. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference. You can also see some of the other dishes made by the owner/chef in a video but still no measurements. Next I'm going to try the Macro Burger to which I had a teensy weensy addiction to a while back (as in a 3x week for lunch jonesing dts full on addict). Crazy delicious.

I haven't eaten nor have I had a hankering for any red meat. Yet. Or real sugar. Okay the jelly beans but they were small (handfuls ...). And I had 3 squares of milk chocolate that we got for V Day. I couldn't have just one. I had to have 3. And I only knew I had 3 because the wrappers lay before me and scrunching them into one didn't really make me feel any better. And then there was the TJ lime juice popsicle. The popcorn doesn't count as corn isn't really cheating ... and it wasn't movie theater disgusting oil-laden corn (which is much easier to excuse while you eat it in the dark theater!). It was my fav Smart Pop from Orville. Seriously though, does anyone even touch Mr. Redenbacher?? A man who was obsessed since 4-H with developing the perfect popcorn. A moment of silence please (he died in his Jacuzzi!!).

A friend asked me tonight where I found the detox rules because of course I didn't dig into my shekels and have the book shipped (after going to no less than 3 bookstores I gave up). It's printed in London where the doc is from so the waiting and the cost just didn't seem to fit my agenda. You can click here and get some info from other sites. The diet promises: To return your body to its natural alkaline balance by altering the pH of your system with food. The diet will improve your metabolism and break your cravings for toxins like caffeine, sugar, and salt (oops). Forget Dr. Joshi's site as it's pretty much promoting him and him and him (re: show him the money). So you might think because Gwyneth made the doctor famous that it's all a bunch of hooey. But I'm living proof that it's not (what's left of me anyway). I did a lot of research and pieced it all together, even the liver detox mix that we haven't done. Now that's just overkill--my liver likes a little toxin now and again. There's been a little Belvedere rearing its head in a glass or two.

Yes we are continuing the detox. From Tiger. They should just send him to Haiti to help clean up that mess where he won't even be able to think about s-e-x. What is up with his BS? Desperate times. Going back to my original thought--golf is not a sport, it's a recreation. Sweat=sport. Curling=no sweat. Downhill skiing=sweat. Bobsledding=spandex hideousness (see detox diet).

I'm still experimenting with coffee. Permanently. Cranky just isn't my best feature. And medicine has proven (real mds) it reduces the risk of Parkinson's and diabetes!! AND the Institute for Coffee Studies (do we really care that it's funded by the coffee industry?) says that it reduces the risk of suicide. Coffee is literally a lifesaver! Need a cuppa now!

For those that are keeping track, my heel spur (which looks like a misplaced fang) is finally on the mend! No flip flops and consistent icing have been key. Along with my gentle massaging of the plantar fascia (mmmm). The running sneakers with my D&G suit may not win any fashion nods but I can finally walk without constant pain. Soon back to running and a real sport, tennis.

Back to food ... Z now likes garbanzo beans. He has made a deal to try new things and says "I tasted something new and I liked it!". Or not. I think mostly because he is ridiculously obsessed with balls. Brussel sprouts can't be far behind (a personal fav)! We had quinoa pasta for the first time tonight. Texturally much more similar to traditional pasta than the brown rice one and way better for you. "Kitchen sink" dish with green chard, garlic, onion, asparagus, basil, parsley and lemon juice. I didn't have any stock and wasn't inclined to use any wine (except a wee bit in my stemless Riedel but it still came out yummy. The wine was from the Zagat monthly wine club (V Day gift), a vibrant, bright pinot grigio that went well with the dish. And without. Once in a while you just need the grape!

1 comment:

  1. Tracey i am following you using Google friend connect.
    follow me if u like to follow

    -Best
    Travellingrants

    ReplyDelete